Monday, August 18, 2008

2000 miles

I finally made it to my new destination! The drive over was happily uneventful. Parts of it were pretty, but most of the time we couldn't see anything because the land was filled with so many trees we could not see past them. Still, it's beautiful. We have flowers in our front yard and trees in the back. Our house is great. It's covered in spider webs, but that's okay---I get my own bedroom and bathroom (and the vacuum took care of the spiders). The place is quite hilly. Riding my bike to class is uphill the whole way. Plus, it's humid, so in order to be proper, I have to change my clothes when I get here. I think I might take the bus tomorrow.

To fund my experience here, I'll be responsible for a tutorial class twice a week. Students will come to me and ask for help on their homework. I'm excited. I've always enjoyed helping people figure out their homework problems, and now I will get paid to do it! Plus, I get to keep learning and learning.

It's really weird being so far away from everything I know. The people I've met so far are really great. I've met a ton of people who use statistics all the time. It's amazing. We're going to have statistics themed dinners with a few people from church.

My computer broke the day I got here, so I'm using the school computer right now. Once I get it fixed, I have a bunch of pictures of the old and then pictures of the new I want to post.

3 comments:

Jay said...

I'm glad you and dad made it there safe. What's your computer doing? I'm looking forward to the pictures.

Julianne said...

Wow. Someone still checks this blog after all this time? Thanks for the message! My computer won't even boot in safe mode. It gets stuck at crcdisk.sys. I'm going to take it to the people on campus tomorrow for some advice.

Jessica said...

Hey you ACTUALLY updated!! You seriously need to do that more often. Like at least twice a week. :D And yes, i still check your blog every once in awhile. Hey, now you actually have a reason to update, since you're across the country!