Friday, November 6, 2009

Juice!

Earlier this week I went to a talk by a well-known operations research professor who is also one of the authors of this book that I'm using for my algorithms class, Cliff Stein. We thought there would be refreshments beforehand so we arrived 20 minutes early. No refreshments were to be found, so instead I discovered a bookshelf full of free books! The sign said to take books if you want them and to leave books you no longer need. I found some interesting books on machine learning, logic, and data structures which are now an important part of my textbook collection, and we found one book which didn't belong: The Big Book of Juices and Smoothies . It inspired us to make smoothies during our The Office / Rock Band night tonight. We ended up not using the recipes in the book, but its inspiration was priceless.


Here is my favorite smoothies that I made (all amounts are approximated):

1/2 of honeydew melon
1 kiwi (peeled)
1 banana
1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
ice (optional)

Directions: Blend the first 4 ingredients until smooth. Leave as is for a thick juice or add ice and blend for a smoothie. Enjoy! Serves about 3.

(Note: Since my camera is lost, I found this picture if another honeydew smoothie recipe found here. Feel free to try that one. It looks good too!)





3 comments:

Jackijo said...

Did you keep the book?

Julianne said...

It's in my backpack right now. We're trying to think of somewhere creative to put it like with a bunch of statistics books in our building somewhere.

Ben said...

--The Big Book of Juices and Smoothies: Free.
--Ingredients to make smoothies: Several dollars.
--A blender to blend smoothies: Widely variable price depending on the horsepower and durability, not to mention size.
--Inspiration and entertainment provided when the Big Book of Juices and Smoothies is found on a shelf of free books also housing books about logic and data structures which in turn leads to a smoothie night while watching The Office and playing Rock Band, not to mention a blog post: Approximating priceless.