Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Sewing

A few weeks ago, I started watching the TV show, Pushing Daisies off of theWB.com. I immediately fell in love with all of the dresses the main girl wore, so I tried to find some like it. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any quite like them though I did find a few that I liked. However, these dresses were priced much too high for one that I wasn't certain I was in love with. Also a few weeks ago, I read a book called Into the Wild Nerd Yonder.  I enjoyed the book but only because I immediately connected with the main character and her joy for math. She spent her summer sewing a lot of skirts---one for every occasion. On the first day of school she wore a skirt with pencils and rulers on it. While I don't think I could ever go that extreme, it gave me the desire to make a skirt for myself. Then a few days ago, I was watching another episode of Pushing Daisies, and I decided I could make a dress for myself too! Only problem, I've never really sewed before. I remember working on a quilt made from scraps of fabric when I was a child, but I never finished it, and I've never done much since then. Still, now that I'm done with school, I think I need to do something else with my life than work. So, I have a new goal. First, sew a simple skirt and maybe a few other things, and then design and sew (or just find a pattern I like) a pretty dress for myself. And hopefully since I have posted this goal for everyone to see, I'll actually do it.

6 comments:

Jay said...

We have an antique (electric) sewing machine that you could borrow. Or come by an use ours if you want.

tkangaroo said...

Chuck did have an amazing sense of style. I love all of her jackets, and I really want to know where they got some of her hats.

Good Luck!

tkangaroo said...

Side note, this website (http://newdressaday.wordpress.com/) may help inspire you!

Ben said...

Guys love girls that sew.

Julianne said...

T, when I first went the website, I was like, "Why is she making such big ugly dresses?" It took a bit to make sense of it. My sister likes the idea, and I think we're going to try it out!

Geevz said...

I love those dresses! I know you'll make some awesome ones.