Sunday, September 18, 2011

Flying Free Trip #6: Paris/London


Last year, I was lucky to have the opportunity to attend a conference in Paris. Since this was my first trip overseas, I decided to spend a couple of extra days in a Paris and a couple days in London.

Lucky for me, I was traveling for work during a non-busy travel time, so I got a free upgrade to envoy (business class). Business class is the way to go! The seats lay back, sometimes flat, otherwise almost flat, you get a free bag of trinkets (toothbrush, eye covering, and lotion), and they give you several delicious meals. The flight was most excellent.

I arrived in Paris in the early hours of the morning before the sun had risen. I speak no French, so I was rather nervous. After much trouble of walking outside, waiting outside, walking in circles, asking for help, taking a tram to the next terminal, waiting for a shuttle, getting more nervous, asking for more help, going in more circles, wondering where this shuttle is going to pick me up, I looked up, and there was the Hilton! Hurray! I found it! I thought the website said there was a shuttle from the airport, but oh well, a 2 minute walk is preferable to a shuttle.

The conference was interesting despite my extreme fatigue (probably due to my inability to sleep well on the plane there and jet lag), and the dinner cruise was very fancy. For the conference, we went on a cruise down the Seine river where we could see many of the Paris sights from the boat including my first glimpse of the Eiffel Tower! I especially like how it sparkled for about 5 minutes every hour. The dinner was also very fancy, and I was offered red wine, white wine, and champagne. I opted for water. Personally, I felt the cruise was overly extravagant and unnecessary and a waste of money, but it was a good experience nonetheless. I enjoyed dinner with Dr. Peter Belobaba who is probably the most well-known name in revenue management. He was very interesting to talk to, and I didn't feel overwhelmed or uncomfortable during the dinner.




After the conference, I visited the sights in Paris with my coworker. My favorite place was the Gardens of Versailles. I prefer being outdoors among the beautifully trimmed garden hedges and trees to somewhat dull museums of art, and I was filled with energy walking around the gardens.

I then took the train through the chunnel to London. I like traveling by train! I like London MUCH better than Paris and not because of my inability to speak French. I actually really enjoyed being around a foreign language. It gave me a challenge to try and learn a few French phrases which I did. I like London because it is clean and very well taken care of. There are little parks everywhere and most everything is free. I felt safe despite being alone. However, I don't think I want to travel alone again; it's kind of lonely.




3 comments:

Jackijo said...

I love your picture of the skyline of London!

Julianne said...

Thanks! I took it while riding the London Eye.

tkangaroo said...

When did you go? It looks lovely, and not too crowded. . .