Sunday, January 9, 2011

Flying Free Trip #4: West Virginia

Four months ago, I went river rafting for the second time in my life. It was amazing. Equally incredible, were the beautiful West Virginia mountains. The trip was magnificent. First, the weather was perfect. After spending a grueling summer in the heat of Phoenix, the cool air was rather refreshing. The drive through the trees was beautiful---a nice break from the barren desert. After arriving to our camping location before the trip, we took a trip to this amazing bridge. The bridge is huge! It spans the wide New River Gorge, and it's so tall, that the Washington Monument and TWO statue of liberties could fit underneath it. More importantly, it's pretty. I'm not huge into artwork, but I love good architecture. Look at it---both well-built, useful, and beautiful. Plus, I love the outdoors.

4 comments:

Jerry said...

I wonder how this bridge compares with the new bypass bridge at Hoover Dam?

Julianne said...

They look very similar! According the Wikipedia, the Hoover Dam bypass is "the second highest bridge in the nation, with the arch 840 ft (260 m) above the river". That's because the highest bridge is the one in the picture above at 876 ft. The New River Gorge bridge also has a longer span at 1700 ft vs. 1060 ft for the Hoover Dam bypass. I want to see the Hoover Dam bypass bridge now!

Julianne said...

Wait, now I'm confused. The Royal Gorge Bridge is the tallest. The Hoover Dam bypass is the second tallest. And the New River Gorge is now third. Not all of this information is accurate.

Ben said...

Very nice bridge. One day I will traverse it.