Monday, April 5, 2010

Criss-Cross Applesauce

Today during my office hours, several students asked how to subtract the fraction on the right. My immediate reply, "Oh, you just use criss-cross applesauce," and I proceeded to teach them about how to use criss-cross applesauce to subtract fractions. I told them about how it's a neat trick my high school algebra teacher taught me that I still use to this day. While I thought that many people knew this trick, it seems that not even the Internet has heard of it - at least in the math sense. So, I'm going to fix that. Here is the best way to add and subtract fractions with non-matching denominators. Enjoy!




Yes, I am a nerd.

3 comments:

Ben said...

Very nice, very nice. It kinda seems like that should be intuitive, at least for someone who does math frequently, but very nice pneumonic. Now I'll remember that if I decide to take the GRE sometime.

ashes said...

Criss cross applesauce at my school means that you sit 'indian' style. 'Indian' style's no long PC I guess so they came up with something else. I was boring and called what you described as criss cross applesauce as cross multiplying... so boring.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post. I explained this to my 6th grade daughter who was absent when her class learned it. It seems to be easy enough.